Thursday 17 July 2014

Pragmatic Escapist

I woke up this morning and first thing that came to my mind was "Train Ride".

All of a sudden the reminisces surround me. The lovely memory of a train I took from Ghent to Hasselt in Belgium. I was not in the present moment anymore. I was there in that moment of watching the beautiful Belgique surroundings. The cradle of memories held me. The exact moment you realize that even though you try to leave the past behind you do go back... There is some beauty in going back there! The escapist kicks in.

Lost in my impulsiveness I was scrolling through train fares across Europe. Travel map is ready. Flight to London. Train from London to Berlin to Prague and a night train back to London. This whole trip spread across 3 weeks was prepared in microseconds. Desperation of just getting out of reality.

You have a full time job. In fact its 8:40 am and you are supposed to be at work at 9 am. You are doing 2 papers as well towards your Bachelor in Finance. Honestly, not a right time to distract yourself like that. The pragmatist kicks in.

The clash of a pragmatist and an escapist. What makes you chose one over another? I find both of them intriguing because both of them relate to different dimensions of time with one similarity!

Pragmatist guy in this case is trying to be based in the present so that the future benefits can be assured. Follow the routine, save up money, finish the studies and secure the future. Realistic ideology to do the right thing in the present moment. Goal in future secured by compromising the state of mind in present.

Escapist on the other hand is not wanting to be in present at all. He wants to leave. Something that happened in past is dominating his present. There is a fantasy related NOT with where he is right now that keeps calling. Making him leave the present and be in this another world which of course is better.

Now do you see how they are similar? They both are not comfortable with the Present. What they have is being constantly compromised wanting to secure either future goal or a dream world fantasy. Its like someone is chasing a shadow and someone is trying to form the shadow against the light. Past and future.

I do not want to be that person. So I decided to be a Pragmatic Escapist. I am going to acknowledge both of them. Live in present but keep history and hope of future both equally alive. Work in my present but keep the idea of travel a burning torch. Enjoying my present as it is leading to what the Pragmatist and the Escapist have agreed on.

Jass 18/07/14





No comments:

Post a Comment